Chapter 3: The Third Lens – Forensics
Welcome to Chapter 3
In this section, you’ll find resources related to the content in Chapter Three of Developing Digital Detectives by Jennifer LaGarde and Darren Hudgins including:
- Referenced resources
- Grade specific mini-lessons
- Resources for further reading
Resources Referenced In This Chapter
In this section, you’ll find resources that are specifically referenced in this chapter. Some are recommended for use with students, while others may support your own understanding of this lens. Be sure to refer back to this chapter for more information about how to use these resources.
This Lens In Action | Mini Lessons To Try Tomorrow
In this section, you’ll find additional resources that may be useful as you help learners understand this lens. While you may choose to share these resources with learners, they are intended to support educators in building their own understanding of the concepts in this chapter.
- [PODCAST] Fake News: How To Spot Misinformation – This story is adapted from an episode of Life Kit, NPR’s podcast with tools to “help you get it together.”
- [ARTICLE] How a Raccoon Became an Aardvark – Could critical questioning have changed this situation for the better?
- [ARTICLE] The 10 biggest hoaxes in Wikipedia’s first 10 years – Rather than prohibiting Digital Detectives from using crowdsourced resources, like Wikipedia, it’s important to instead teach them how these resources work – including both their strengths and weaknesses.
- [ARTICLE] The Cottingley Fairies – Just one of the many historical hoaxes captured within this website. Could be the inspiration to make your own lesson.